The Roofer covers roofs of structures with slate, asphalt, aluminum, steel, wood, and related materials, using brushes, knives, punches, hammers, and other tools.
The Roofer must be able to perform certain tasks to complete his job functions such as:
- Fastens composition shingles or sheets to roofs with asphalt, cement, or nails.
- Applies alternate layers of hot asphalt or tax and roofing paper until roof covering is completed as specified.
- Aligns roofing material with edge of roof.
- Overlaps successive layers of roofing material, determining distance of overlap, using chalk line gauge on shingling hatchet, or lines on shingles.
- Cuts strips of flashing and fits them into angles formed by walls, vents, and intersecting roof surfaces.
- Cuts roofing paper to size and nails paper to roof in overlapping strips to form base for roofing materials.
- Punches holes in slate, tile, terra cotta, or wooden shingles, using punch and hammer.
- Insulates, soundproofs, and seals buildings with foam, using spray gun, air compressor, and heater or boardstock
- Removes snow, water, or debris from roofs prior to applying roofing materials.
- Cleans and maintains equipment. The roofers equipment is very expensive and he must be able to use the equipment on multiple jobs.
The Roofer must have knowledge in the following areas:
- Must have knowledge of materials, methods, and the appropriate tools to construct objects, structures, and buildings.
- Must have knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, benefits, repair, and maintenance.
- Must have knowledge of equipment, tools, mechanical devices, and their uses to produce motion, light, power, technology, and other applications.
- Needs knowledge and prediction ability of physical principles, laws, and applications including air, water, material dynamics, light, atomic principles, heat, electric theory, earth formations, and meteorological and related natural phenomena.
- Needs knowledge of design techniques, principles, tools and instruments involved in the production and use of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Needs knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Needs knowledge of numbers, their operations, and interrelationships including arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Needs knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services including needs assessment techniques, quality service standards, alternative delivery systems, and customer.
- Needs some knowledge of the composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Needs knowledge of weaponry, public safety, and security operations, rules, regulations, precautions, prevention, and the protection of people, data, and property.
- Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Needs knowledge of inputs, outputs, raw materials, waste, quality control, costs, and techniques for maximizing the manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Needs knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
- Needs knowledge of media production, communication, dissemination techniques and methods including alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
Skill requirements a Roofer needs:
- Must have the capability to determine the kind of tools and equipment needed to do a job.
- Must have the skill to control operations of equipment or systems.
- Must have the necessary skills to install equipment, machines, wiring, or programs to meet specifications.
- Needs the ability to make adjusting actions in relation to others’ actions.
- Inspects and evaluates the quality of products. He must also develop approaches for implementing an idea.
- Needs to be able to repair machines or systems using the needed tools for this function.